Saturday, July 25, 2009

Today I Lost My Best Friend

Yesterday was just a normal old day, nothing really to do but sit outside and let the kids play because it was still to cool to swim and we could not really go anywhere because we had the last night of V.B.S. So Me and the kids and My dog Sassy was all out side just hanging out when all of a sudden we noticed that Sassy was gone! we hollered and yelled and looked but nothing! I got on the 4wheeler road in the weeds and the soybean field and nothing! I was in shock it was like she had just vanished, we looked some more and the kids went to the neighbors doors and told them and still nothing!
We called Pat who was still at work and he brought the crew home and they searched and still nothing, it was getting time to get ready for V.B.S so I had to leave and he said that he would stay and look. So when I got back home I was hoping that she was standing in My kitchen, but nothing!

She took off at around 2:00 o'clock and it know was getting around 8:30, and I was afraid that if we did not find her before dark she would not find her way home because she had cataracts and could not see good, so the search was on again all the way up until 11:30 and still nothing, I started thinking the worst due to living on the busiest road in the state I knew she would not last long. So we left the back door open hoping she would come and scratch at the back door but she didn't.

It is now 4:00 in the morning and still nothing it is getting ready to storm,"o" she hates storms and she will die out there she absolutely hates the thunder and lighting and what will she do, I hollered and hollered, My hope was gone, it is 6:00 and it is storming so bad and lighting i just knew she was scared, I layed back down and waited til it was over and about 8:30 we took out again, and we road down the road that we had drove down 50 times hollering one more time, And there she was laying in a ditch," Sassy was GONE" she had walked so far and was so scared from the storm that she must have fell over with stroke or heart attack, it was like she said"I am tired" and layed down and died, she was still warm and not even wet from the rain when Pat picked her up and put her in the truck, I was devastated, screaming and crying blaming myself what if we had went out sooner? She looked perfect what could have happened Shelby Ann said,
how do you answer to a 7 year old when you don't know the answer yourself?




You see this just aint a story of a lost dog, she was My Best Friend and I had had her for 13 years and this was just not like her to just take off . I got Sassy Mae when she was 8weeks old just 2 weeks after Pat and I married and she was my first baby! she loved only me, she had love for others but it was not the same. This Girl knew more secrets than anyone else that I had told, she could really have told a story on me if she could have. She had won dog shows, Shelby had showed her off in the fair, She was my mouse patrol dog and she loved the swimming pool!

I will forever Miss and Love you Sassy Mae
Sassy Mae 1997-2009

4 comments:

Mc's said...

James and I cannot believe that Sassy is gone, she has been a part of our lives for the 12 years that we have been together, you got Sassy before James and I ever started dating...Our hearts are breaking. Jaden is gonna miss her sniffing him...We are gonna miss her. We are so thankful that she made it out to a place where you could find her so you all could have closure. She loved you so much. I will never forget the night she got ran over and we thougth she was dead then and we rushed her to the vet at midnight on a weekend, boy that vet sure was wrong about saying that she would never really be able to walk again...her leg was all wrapped up forever, but she learned all over again how to walk just fine. Bringing home Shelby Ann for the first time was a little scary, but Sass began to realize that there was two babies in the house, her and Shelby, she began to love her as time went on she loved her even more because as Shelby got older she would give her all kinds of treats, especially at Trick-or-treat time, Christmas, and Easter. Sass knew where Shelby kept her stash and she always could find it in Shelby's room and get it herself without even asking....Oh she loved to hop in the bathtub ever chance she could get, to drink the dripping water, oh she loved that. Oh and you can't forget how much Sassy loved Mammaw Jean either.... Daisy loved Sassy too, now she's with her and everything's gonna be ok. We will forever remember Sass....

The McBrides said...

OH, I am so sorry to hear that! I completely understand as I lost mine a few years ago. It's so hard, but with time it does get better:) My heart is breaking for you guys!!!

The McIntires said...

I am so sorry to hear about your little dog! We will be thinking about you!

Polly Forns said...

Oh Hanya, I am so sorry about your baby! I lost a precious dog once and I grieved him just like you are doing now. Hugs!